Surrey Golf seeks young volunteers for BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth
PUBLISHED: 16:13 25 January 2012 | UPDATED: 20:57 20 February 2013
The Surrey Golf Partnership has launched a European Tour legacy project to recruit young volunteers for the BMW PGA Championship at the Wentworth Club in May.
Photo: Getty Images
TheSurrey Golf Partnership has launched a European Tour legacy project to recruit young volunteers for the BMW PGA Championship at the Wentworth Club in May.
The BMW PGA Championship is the European Tours flagship tournament and the top-class field will include the titleholder and world no1 Luke Donald.
We hope that many young people will apply for this exciting opportunity to volunteer at a major global sporting event, says Richard Shaw, the Surrey golf development officer. Its a great opportunity to meet like-minded people and to gain increased employment skills.
Volunteer opportunities for young people aged 18-25 from the Surrey area could include roles as media centre assistants, practice ground attendant, players lounge marshall or scoreboard carriers.
There may also be the chance to caddie and meet leading players and celebrities during the pro-am event prior to the start of the championship.
The projectis part of the London 2012 Sport Makers Scheme which is running throughout England encouraging people to take part in active sport.
The procedure for signing up is simple:
- Sign up at www.sportsmakers.co.uk through the Surrey section by Wednesday February 1
- Book onto the FREE workshop taking place on Monday February 13 using the code: GOLF
- Attend the workshop to find out further information
Following this, those successful will be expected to commit to:
- Becoming a Sport Maker
- Attending a training session on Wednesday April 11
- Volunteering at a local golf project (such as joining in with friends and family at a Get Into Golf beginner course) for 10 hours in April and/or May
- Volunteering at the BMW PGA Championship at Wentworth on selected days between Monday May 21 and Sunday May 27 (to include a briefing session on the week of the event)
- Acting as a Surrey Golf Young Ambassador throughout the process and assist with any promotional activity
Branded clothing will be given out at the initial workshop and training costs will be fully subsidised