Surrey Artists Open Studios 2015 - look out for the orange signs!
PUBLISHED: 08:55 08 June 2015 | UPDATED: 12:35 08 June 2015
With over 200 participating artists, this year's Surrey Artists' Open Studios (SAOS) presents an even greater variety of work, including printmaking, jewellery, ceramics, textiles, painting, wood-turning, sculpture, illustration, glass work and more.
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine June 2015
“For 16 days in June, Surrey artists open their doors and welcome the public,” explains Jane McGibbon, SAOS coordinator. “This unique event offers an exciting opportunity to meet artists and makers in Surrey, to hear about and see first-hand their practice and to admire their work.
“The artists also offer opportunities to take part in their workshops, and it’s a great way to meet fellow art enthusiasts.”
Visitors can simply pop along to a single studio or even create an art trail, using the maps and information provided on the SAOS website.
Brochures containing all the artists’ information and the studio opening times are also available from local libraries and arts venues.
• Surrey Artists’ Open Studios runs from Saturday June 6 to Sunday June 21. For more information, see the website at surreyopenstudios.org.uk
5 more art exhibitions in Surrey this month
• Mr Marsh’s Martinware, an exhibition exploring the wonderful Martinware ceramics donated by Kingston resident Ernest Marsh, runs at Kingston Museum until Saturday July 4. See kingston.gov.uk/museum
• An exhibition of wildlife paintings by Sue Payton is on show at the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation, Shalford, from Monday June 1 to Tuesday June 30. Also, later this month, look out for the life-size painting of a tiger by Richard Symonds before it moves to the Mall Galleries, London, where it will be sold to raise money for the TigerTime campaign. See davidshepherd.org
• Pam Carter works predominately in oil and is inspired by rugged coastlines. The featured artist this month at the Art Agency, Esher, her exhibition runs from Tuesday June 2 until Monday July 6. See theartagency.co.uk
• Artists Maggie Butler and Heather Tipton are holding an exhibition at Haslemere Museum to coincide with Surrey Artists’ Open Studios. Featuring a mix of paintings and sculpture, prints and photographs, it runs from Tuesday June 9 to Saturday June 20. See haslemeremuseum.co.uk
• • To celebrate the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta, Surrey artist Alan Perriman’s Runnymede Ghosts exhibition runs at Royal Holloway in Egham from Friday June 12 to Tuesday June 16. See royalholloway.ac.uk/aboutus/newsandevents