A walk around Walliswood, Oakwood Hill and the remains of Surrey’s wealden forest
PUBLISHED: 14:02 01 September 2020 | UPDATED: 11:18 02 September 2020
Enjoy this delightful wooded walk in a more isolated part of the Surrey Hills weald
Start: Car Park opposite The Scarlett Arms pub.
Postcode for Sat Nav: RH5 5RD, Grid ref: TQ119 382
Parking: Free parking
Toilets: At The Scarlett Arms Pub
Length of walk: 4 miles (6.4kms) Allow 2 hours
Public Transport: Very limited Bus Route 545
Food and Drink: The Scarlett Arms Pub or make the short journey to Cranleigh for lots of food and drink options.
While you are there: Visit Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden, Black & White Cottage, Standon Lane Ockley RH5 5QU hannahpescharsculpture.com
1. From the car park with The Scarlett Arms Pub in front of you, go right for 60m along Horsham Road, out of the village and right into Froggetts Lane for about a quarter of a mile.
2. Passing Froggetts Farm on your left, turn right onto a tarmac drive signposted to Northlands and Farthing. Continue up the drive but leave it and cross the stile on the left just before Northlands. The path then leads across fields and enters a belt of woodland before joining a wide unsealed track.
3. Turn right and continue along this track to its junction with the public highway
4. Turn sharp right up the farm road. When the road bears right, take the public footpath which carries straight on over a stile and across the field to another stile on the far side. Continue along the track, which subsequently becomes a tarmac road and leads from the ridge down past Wollards Farm to Mayes Green.
5. Cross the Forest Green/Walliswood Road onto the byway directly opposite and continue for just under a quarter of a mile before turning right at the junction with another byway.
6. Follow this byway down through the trees with the golf course on the left. The track eventually becomes a tarmac farm road and joins the public road at Oakwood Cottage.
7. Turn left and then, after a distance of about sixty metres, opposite the entrance to Gatton Manor, turn off to the right and take the footpath through the woods.
8. Soon, you come upon the edge of a steep sided valley. Bear left, following the path down the steep path. Cross the stream via the wooden footbridge and follow the signs to Oakwood Church ahead of you on the other side.
9. Once you have explored the churchyard, leave by the same gate and return to the junction by the stream. Turn left, staying on the same side of the stream as the church and cross the
second wooden bridge. Follow the path through the wood for just over half a mile before once again reaching Walliswood village and the Scarlett Arms Pub.
Free guided walk: Join Chris Howard on this free guided walk on Sunday October 4 – see surreyhillssociety.org for details.