A Surrey walk around the Thames Down Link
PUBLISHED: 12:56 12 November 2018 | UPDATED: 12:56 12 November 2018
Enjoy this linear rail to ramble section of the Thames Down Link route taking the short train-ride from Box Hill & Westhumble to Ashtead before walking back
• Start: Box Hill & Westhumble station, there are frequent trains seven days a week
• Grid ref: TQ 167518
• Postcode for Sat Nav: RH5 6BT
• Length of walk: 2.5 hours walking plus train journey
• While you are there: If you fancy a hilly climb, the top of Box Hill is worth a visit for the views. Café and Visitor Centre available.
• Free guided walks: Check the Surrey Hills Society website for their free linear walk, in conjunction with the Lower Mole Partnership, from Box Hill & Westhumble station on 4 November – see surreyhillssociety.org for details.
1. Exit Ashtead Station and turn right onto Woodfield Lane by the railway station car park. Continue straight along Woodfield Lane at first roundabout, then turn left on to Meadow Road at next roundabout.
2. Walk along Meadow Road, bearing left on to Bramley Way after about 180 yards. Walk along this until you reach the Epsom Road.
3. Cross Epsom Road with care at the traffic island and you will see a staggered wooden barrier that goes into Ashtead Park. Follow the path straight ahead for about 150 yards across Ashtead Park until you reach the surfaced track where you meet the Thames Down Link path. Turn right to follow track all the way across the Park to reach a road. Turn right to reach a set of white gates. Go through these and turn left up Park Lane (path on right). At Chalk Lane turn right and follow this to meet Grays Lane. Continue ahead down a narrow bridleway to Crampshaw Lane. Cross over, turn left and follow path that runs through the trees alongside road. Follow this until it rises up out of Ashtead, carry on at first crossroads. At the second, turn right into Stane Street.
4. The Thames Down Link follows this straight Roman Road nearly all the way from now on, with lovely views across the countryside to the west. Follow Stane Street straight on, ignoring all side paths, cross over the M25, Headley Road, The Drive and Mill Way until the track bends to the left. At this point the track becomes Downs Road. Follow this around to the right and continue straight to go gradually downhill to meet Headley Lane.
5. Turn right and cross over London Road to take the path below the road to the left. You’ll be passing Juniper Hall Field Studies Centre, where environmental courses are held. Where the path ends, continue along the pavement to the junction with Box Hill Zig Zag.
6. Cross over and take the path to the right that runs parallel to London Road. Follow this to reach a gap in the fence leading back on to the road. Continue on past the Burford Bridge Hotel. Continue on along the pavement running parallel with the main road, crossing over the River Mole to reach a subway. Go through to reach Box Hill & Westhumble station where you started your journey.
You will see the signs here for the North Downs Way National Trail, a 153 mile long distance route running from Farnham to the coast at Dover.
• The ultimate Surrey walking guide - With beautiful countryside, stunning villages and plenty of bluebells during spring, Surrey is an amazing place for a stroll