The Big Draw 2014 brings environment-themed art events to Guildford
PUBLISHED: 08:36 27 October 2014 | UPDATED: 10:33 27 October 2014
To coincide with The Big Draw, a national campaign to encourage drawing, ten Guildford venues are hosting free, environment-themed art events in the coming weeks. Here’s where to try your hand...
Saturday October 4, 9.30am to 2pm
Professional illustrator Stacey Allan will be offering a workshop in making your own paper windmills.
• Mill Studio, Guildford Yvonne Arnaud Theatre, Millbrook, Guildford GU1 3UX: 01483 440000
Saturday October 4, 12noon to 5pm
It’s a bug’s life at Ochre Print, which is offering a bug themed drop-in workshop and the opportunity to use screen-printing, mono-print and relief printing techniques.
• Tunsgate Arches, 140 High Street, Guildford GU1 3AA: 01483 444767
Saturday October 11, 11am to 4pm
Take a traditional Victorian drawing class at easels with GF Watts! Make an imaginative installation with illustrator Esther Coombs and help create a gigantic painting with The Art Forum.
• Watts Gallery, Down Lane, Compton GU3 1DQ: wattsgallery.org.uk
Sunday October 12, 12noon to 5pm
Join The Boileroom’s resident artist, Kev Munday, to create an environment- themed mural.
• The Boileroom, 13 Stoke Fields, Guildford GU1 4LS: theboileroom.net
Saturday October 18, 12noon to 5pm
The Keystone will host a family day with fun activities including painting and illustration on actual door panels with artist Paige Harris.
• The Keystone Pub, 3 Portsmouth Road, Guildford GU2 4BL: 01483 575089
Saturday October 25, 10am to 11.30am and 12noon to 2pm
Drop in to G Live to make a willow basket for your treasured possessions with Judith Needham.
• G Live, London Road, Guildford GU1 2AA: glive.co.uk
Monday October 27, 10am to 2.30pm
Help create a giant cityscape for The Electric Theatre with artist Paul Clark, using shrink plastic and collage materials. You will get to take some creations home with you too.
• The Electric Theatre, Onslow Street GU1 4SZ: guildford.gov.uk/electrictheatre
Wednesday October 29, 9.30am to 1pm
Artist Becci Kenning invites the public to bring their scraps of material, which mean something to them, to help create a landscape tapestry in the nave of Guildford Cathedral.
• Guildford Cathedral, Stag Hill, Guildford GU2 7UP: guildford-cathedral.org
Thursday October 30, 3pm to 5pm and 7pm to 9pm
Join Debi Retallick at Stoughton Methodist Church and have a go at making a felt landscape inspired by 21st century landscape painting.
• Stoughton Methodist Church, Stoughton Road, Guildford GU2 9PT: 01483 444767
Friday October 31, 11am to 1pm and 1.30pm to 3pm
There will be a Max Ernst inspired drop-in workshop with Claire Harrison at Guildford House Gallery, featuring a touch of Halloween fun using drawing and rubbing techniques.
• Brew House, Guildford House Gallery, 155 High Street, Guildford GU1 3AJ: 01483 444751
Saturday November 1, 10am to 4pm
Create wire-sculpted trees, fauna and flora using wire to create trees, leaves, branches and everything that lives in, on and under them! The massed sculpture will be displayed in Guildford Institute’s studio window. • The Guildford Institute, Ward Street, Guildford GU1 4LH: 01483 562 142
• For more information on all the events, visit guildford.gov.uk or the bigdraw.org
If you’re a keen artist, we’d love to see your impressions of Surrey – whether sketches of streets or painted landscapes. Post them online at surreylife.co.uk/photos or e-mail email@example.com