Things to do this October in Surrey
PUBLISHED: 10:33 01 October 2014 | UPDATED: 10:46 01 October 2014
Each month, we team up with the group that’s in charge of tourism in the county, Visit Surrey, to reveal the essential dates for your diary during the month ahead...
- Share your events with us @ www.facebook.com/SurreyLife and twitter.com/SurreyLife
- Things to do this weekend in Surrey
Wednesday October 1 to Friday October 31
Mole Valley Arts Alive
A month-long festival celebrating the very best in Mole Valley talent, Arts Alive sees all the various arts represented. The festival kicks off with a street party in the town centres of Dorking and Leatherhead on Saturday September 27, where local groups get the opportunity to showcase their talents and give a small taster of what is to come over the month ahead.
Saturday October 4 and Sunday October 5
Surrey Hills Wood Fair
A celebration of all that is good about wood in England’s most wooded county, the Surrey Hills Wood Fair is now in its fifth year at Birtley House, Bramley, and includes woodcraft such as carving, willow-weaving and hurdle making, as well as chainsaw sculpture, woodland walks and wood fuel suggestions. Tickets are £7.50 each with children under 12 free. Read all about it from page 80.
• Birtley House, Bramley GU5 0LE: surreyhillswoodland.co.uk
Friday October 10 to Sunday October 12
The Esher Hall Antiques & Fine Art Fair
Launched in 2008, this boutique-style fair features around 30 specialist exhibitors from across the UK, selling the finest town and country furniture, jewellery, silver, sculpture, oil paintings and watercolours, oriental carpets, book illustrations, ceramics, glass, mirrors, textiles and many other decorative works of art. The perfect chance to start stocking up for (sshh!) Christmas. Admission is £5 on the door.
• Esher Hall, Sandown Park Racecourse, Esher KT10 9AJ: esherhallfair.com
Tuesday October 14 to Sunday October 19
Woking Society of Arts
Woking Society of Arts is holding its autumn 2014 exhibition in the heart of the town at The Lightbox. The exhibition will feature selected works from local amateur and professional artists in a wide variety of styles and media including oils, acrylics, watercolours and mixed media. All artwork on show will also be available to purchase.
• The Lightbox, Chobham Road, Woking, GU21 4AA: thelightbox.org.uk
Saturday October 18, 2pm to 4.30pm
Frank Woodgate: 150 years of British Art
Renowned NADFAS lecturer, Frank Woodgate, throws a spotlight on the Bloomsbury Group, a hugely influential, intellectual, literary and artistic set of friends who scandalised society with their avant-garde views, art and lifestyle – their legacy still resonates today. Tickets are priced at £15 each, including coffee and biscuits.
• Radisson Blu Edwardian Hotel, Guildford GU1 3DA: 01483 444334 (Guildford TIC)
Saturday October 18 and Sunday October 19
Festival of Crafts
Farnham Maltings hosts its 18th festival of crafts, a celebration of contemporary crafts in one of England’s creative hot spots. The event brings together more than 80 designer-makers displaying ceramics, textiles, glass, metal, jewellery and wood. Admission: £3; under 15s free.
• Farnham Maltings, Bridge Square, Farnham GU9 7QR: farnhammaltings.com
Sunday October 19, gates open 12noon
The William Hill Jump Sunday
Celebrate the start of the jump racing season at Kempton Park in Sunbury on Thames, with an afternoon of spectacular on-track action and entertainment for all the family to enjoy. Many of the best trainers and jockeys are expected to be in evidence. Tickets: £16 on the day.
• Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury on Thames TW16 5AQ: kempton.co.uk
Saturday October 25, 7pm
Malice in Wonderland
Smoke and Mirrors present Malice in Wonderland, a chilling murder mystery event, at the Legacy Farnham Hogs Back Hotel. Expect a spine-chilling evening of clues and whodunits, with a welcome arrival drink, three-course meal with a large glass of wine, and murder mystery entertainment. Tickets: £49.50 each.
• Legacy Farnham Hogs Back Hotel, Farnham GU10 1EX: legacy-hotels.co.uk
Thursday October 30, 6pm to 9.30pm
Brooklands Museum Torchlight Tour
Visit the famous Brooklands Museum, the birthplace of British motorsport and aviation, for a behind-the-scenes tour after dark for Hallowe’en. Your guide will show you the darker side of this historic location and unearth some of its eerie past by torchlight. Tickets include a two-course meal, with tea or coffee. Tickets: £35 adults/seniors and £32 children (12-16 years).
• Brooklands Museum, Brooklands Road, Weybridge KT13 0QN: 01932 857381
Friday October 31
With Halloween coming up later this month, what could be better than enjoying some spooky stories on a ghost tour in one of our county’s historic towns? The one in Guildford starts at Holy Trinity Church at the top of the High Street, while in Reigate they leave from the Market Stores by Tunnel Road.
• See ghosttourofguildford.co.uk and reigateghostwalk.co.uk
• The Subways perform at The Boileroom, Guildford, with Bleech and In Dynamics on Saturday October 4: theboileroom.net
• The Russian State Philharmonic Orchestra plays at G Live, Guildford, as part of the Guildford International Concert Series 2014/15 on Wednesday October 15: glive.co.uk
• John Mayall’s 80th Anniversary Tour with special guest King King comes to G Live, Guildford, on Friday October 17: glive.co.uk
• Single Spies by Alan Bennett is at Kingston’s Rose Theatre from Thursday September 25 to Saturday October 11: rosetheatrekingston.org
• To Kill a Mockingbird heads for the stage of the New Victoria Theatre, Woking, from Tuesday October 7 to Saturday October 11: atgtickets.com
• The Addams Family presented by ESOSOC runs at The Harlequin Theatre, Redhill, from Wednesday October 22 to Saturday October 25: harlequintheatre.co.uk
• Danny Bhoy’s Please Untick This Box comes to Dorking Halls, Dorking, on Friday October 10: dorkinghalls.co.uk
• John Hastings, Matt Price and Erich McElroy perform at the Crack Comedy Club at Kingston’s Grey Horse pub on Friday October 10: crackcomedy.com
• An evening with Noel Fielding (star of The Mighty Boosh) comes to G Live, Guildford, on Monday October 20: glive.co.uk