Things to do in Surrey this August
PUBLISHED: 09:29 01 August 2015 | UPDATED: 09:44 10 August 2015
Each month, we team up with the group that’s in charge of tourism in the county, Visit Surrey, to reveal the essential dates for your diary during the month ahead...
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine August 2015
Various dates and times
Surrey Sculpture Society 2015 Season
There’s still plenty of chances around the county to see this year’s Surrey Sculpture Society season, which takes in the Riverhouse Arts Centre in Walton-on-Thames from Wednesday July 22 to Sunday August 16; RHS Garden Wisley from Saturday August 22 to Sunday September 27; and the Landmark Arts Centre at Teddington on Saturday October 31 and Sunday November 1.
• Various locations: surreysculpture.org.uk
Saturday August 1 to Monday August 31, 12noon, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm
The Mad Hatter’s Picnic Tea Party
Join Alice and her friends for fun and entertainment at the Mad Hatter’s Picnic Party, which forms just part of the many Alice in Wonderland themed goings-on at the Royal Horticultural Society’s flagship garden, RHS Wisley near Woking, over the summer months. Make sure to wear your most creative hat and pre-book as seating is limited. Tickets: £10 / £12.
• RHS Garden Wisley, Woking GU23 6QB: rhs.org.uk
Saturday August 1 to Wednesday September 2, various times
Sixty Days of Summer
A community project providing summer holiday activities for children at The Medicine Garden, Sixty Days of Summer features firm favourites from last year, including art, yoga and music, along with new activities such as Mummy & Me Bootcamp, Little Chefs and Petite Planters Gardening Club. Membership for activities is less than £10 per week.
• The Medicine Garden, Downside Road, Cobham KT11 3LU: themedicinegarden.com
Sunday August 2, various times
This year’s RideLondon-Surrey Classic, the professional part of this annual cycling race, starts at Horse Guards Parade before going out through the capital to Kingston. The peloton then races through Dorking before taking the southern loop and the ascent of Leith Hill. Following three circuits of the northern loop (one more than 2014), through Dorking and up to Ranmore Common, the race heads to Box Hill, Leatherhead, Oxshott and Esher before the return. There will also be festival zones with music and more at Pyrford, Dorking and Leatherhead.
• Various locations: prudentialridelondon.co.uk
Saturday August 8 and Sunday August 9, from 9am
Said to be the only agricultural show within the confines of the M25, the Chertsey Show has been entertaining those of a rural persuasion for over 170 years. Expect everything from classic cars to show ponies to provide the horse power. Jousting will be a highlight this year too.
• Show Ground, Mead Lane, Chertsey KT16 8LN: chertseyshow.co.uk
Saturday August 8 and Sunday August 9, various times
Frimley Lodge Live
Be cool, relax and party with a tribute to the best of Eighties’ rock and reggae music on the Saturday, or sit back and enjoy an evening that celebrates swing on the Sunday; it’s your call. A weekend pass is £45, with a day ticket £30.
• Frimley Lodge Park, Sturt Road, Frimley GU16 6HY: 01276 707600
Saturday August 22 and Sunday August 23, film from 8.30pm
Guildford Lido Open-air Cinema
Open-air cinema season returns to Guildford Lido with Mamma Mia on Saturday August 22 and, one to keep you out of the water, Jaws, on Sunday August 23. There will also be music, fancy dress, a bar and barbecue – oh, and there’ll be swimming from 7pm to 8pm should you wish to test the water. Tickets: from £10.
• Guildford Lido, Lido Road, Stoke Park, Guildford GU1 1HB: freedom-leisure.co.uk
Friday August 28, until 9pm
Fancy experiencing an even more magical side to the enchanting Watts Gallery? Then be sure to visit for their Watts at Dusk late-night openings for music on the lawn, reduced price entry to the latest exhibition and an enjoyable evening in relaxed surrounds. Tickets: Two-for-one entry, and kids go free.
• Watts Gallery, Down Lane, Compton, Guildford GU3 1DQ: wattsgallery.org.uk
Saturday August 29 to Monday August 31, various times
Searching for something exotic this summer? Well, the UK’s largest and longest-running Thai Festival returns to Secretts at Milford over the August bank holiday weekend. The 10th Amazing Thailand Festival will run through the bank holiday weekend with daily cooking demonstrations by celebrated Thai chef, Mini C and more. Tickets: £10 per adult.
• Secretts, Chapel Lane, Milford GU8 5HU: muditatrust.com
Saturday August 29 to Monday August 31, 10am to 6pm
BBC Good Food Festival
Paul Hollywood, Michel Roux Jr and John Whaite are among the chefs at the BBC Good Food Festival at Hampton Court. Held over the bank holiday weekend, expect many artisan producers and a spectacular backdrop. Tickets: Adults, £17.50; children (5-15), £8.75; family, £43.80.
• Hampton Court Palace, East Molesey KT8 9AU: bbcgoodfoodfestival.com
Entertainment events for August
- A festival celebrating our Korean community, Kingston Welcomes Korea, runs at the Rose Theatre as well as across town from Thursday July 30 to Saturday August 8: rosetheatre kingston.org
- Creative Arts Week 2015 (for ages seven to 14) takes place at G Live, Guildford, from Monday August 3 to Friday August 7: glive.co.uk
- Multi award-winning musical Avenue Q comes to Woking’s New Victoria Theatre from Tuesday August 4 to Saturday August 8: atgtickets.com
- The Watermill Theatre brings Calamity Jane to Richmond Theatre from Tuesday August 4 to Saturday August 8: atgtickets.com
- Les Miserables (the school edition) takes up residence at Redhill’s Harlequin Theatre from Thursday August 6 to Saturday August 8: harlequintheatre.co.uk
- Grills & Guitars (barbecue and music) takes place at Farnham Maltings on Friday August 7: farnhammaltings.com
- The Summer Jazz Café floats into The Electric Theatre, Guildford, on Sunday August 9: electrictheatre.co.uk
- Kenneth Grahame’s The Wind in the Willows comes to Painshill, Cobham, on Sunday August 9: 01932 868113
- Black Cat Opera presents Verdi’s Falstaff at Camberley Theatre from Wednesday August 12 to Sunday August 16: 01276 707600
- Presented by The Yvonne Arnaud Youth Theatre, The Sea Child runs at the Yvonne Arnaud’s The Mill Studio, Guildford, from Thursday August 13 to Saturday August 15: 01483 440000