A walk around Pewley Down
PUBLISHED: 17:57 17 November 2020 | UPDATED: 09:41 18 November 2020
Enjoy this short, but hilly walk with stunning views on the chalk downs overlooking Guildford.
Start: Castle Car park, Sydenham Road, Guildford
Parking: £1.30 per hour
Postcode for Sat Nav: GU1 3RW
Toilets: Toilets available in cafes and pubs in Guildford
Grid ref: SU998 494
What3 words: ///foster.bikes.sides
Length of walk: 3.5 miles (5.6 kms) Allow 1.5 hour
Public Transport: Excellent bus and rail services to the town
Food and Drink: The March Hare and The Keep Pub by the Castle and several eateries and cafes in nearby Tunsgate.
While you are there: Visit the 17th century, Grade 1 listed, Guildford House Gallery and Tourist Office in the High Street. Free to visit.
1. From the Castle car park entrance head right down Sydenham Road, towards Guildford Castle. (Definitely worth a quick detour to enjoy the gardens, if you have time).
2. Cross over the road before you reach the March Hare pub into South Hill and then first left up Pewley Hill road. Follow this steep residential road to the top of the hill. On the way you will pass a Semaphore Tower on your left. Continue straight on onto the path to enter Pewley Down. Follow the top path along the ridge of the hill, enjoying the views as you progress along this grassy path until you reach the trees at the end of the common.
3. Turn left through the hedge onto another path. Turn right and follow this path, with fields on both sides. Keep going past the walls of a house called ‘Long Barton’. Eventually you come out onto Longdown Road. Continue straight ahead until you reach a T junction with Halfpenny Lane.
4. Turn right down Halfpenny Lane and follow the road down the hill. Beware of traffic on this road as there are no verges or pavements.
5. At the bottom of the hill turn right onto a public bridleway. Continue straight ahead on this path between hedges. At the junction bear right by Pewley Down notice board, with Pewley Down running parallel, on your right.
6. As you enter woods the path splits. Take the left bridleway path, then next right. Continue straight on. The path gradually rises up the hill until you emerge back on Pewley Down.
7. Take the lower path (parallel to the path you set out on) and pass between the houses on Fort Road. Follow Fort Road down the hill until it meets the road called Warwicks Bench and then becomes South Hill.
8. Turn right down the hill until you meet Sydenham Road again. Turn right to return to Castle car park.
Free guided walk: Join Chris Howard on one of her free guided walks – see surreyhillssociety.org for details.