Molesey - Surrey Life Towns & Villages 2013
PUBLISHED: 16:52 09 October 2013 | UPDATED: 16:53 09 October 2013
The Thameside village of Molesey is split into east and west and has Hampton Court Palace on its doorstep
Fit for a king
For a holiday with a difference, the Landmark Trust offer the opportunity to stay at Fish Court and The Georgian House at Hampton Court Palace. While they don’t come cheap, they are sure to make for a vacation you’ll never forget. The Georgian House is an imposing and elegant 18th-century building on the alley leading to Henry VIII’s Real Tennis Court, while Fish Court was formerly the base for the Officers of the Pastry.
On the river
Molesey Boat Club was founded in 1866 and very quickly gained a reputation for sending out crews with notable results. It has since become one of the premier clubs in the UK with a number of gold medal winning Olympians among its membership, including Greg Searle, Tom James and Andrew Triggs Hodge.
A stone’s throw from Hampton Court Palace is Molesey Lock. Originally constructed in 1815 by the Corporation of London, it had to be rebuilt in 1905 to accommodate the long 200ft naval craft built at Platt’s Eyot, just upstream of the lock.
Henry VIII left his imprint firmly on England’s landscape - and Surrey was to change drastically too during his reign, which was centred largely on Hampton Court Palace in East Molesey. By the time of his death in 1547, Henry VIII had at least five royal palaces in Tudor Surrey but it is Hampton Court Palace that still stands proud.
Le Petit Nantais (07595 303866) on Bridge Road is a family run French Bistro.
Stocking a wide range of traditional British ale, the Prince of Wales (020 8979 5561) on Bridge Road is well worth a visit.
The Carlton Mitre Hotel (020 8979 9988) is located just opposite Hampton Court Palace.
Molesey is located just off the M25 near the start of the M3. Hampton Court station is well serviced, as you’d expect.