Love Oxted Day 2016: Meet the businesses taking part
PUBLISHED: 02:00 22 March 2016 | UPDATED: 04:20 22 March 2016
Pete Gardner Photography
As the town gets ready for the very first Love Oxted Day, here we meet some of the businesses that will be taking part...
The east Surrey town of Oxted is inviting you to ‘come on in’ as it celebrates Love Oxted Day on Saturday 16 April.
A local produce market will set up stall in the town centre, as businesses tempt visitors with exclusive discounts, promotions and tastings as part of this free family event.
Shoppers can also enjoy a quiz trail, live music and street food during the festivities, which will take place on Station Road East and Station Road West, between 10am and 4pm.
“We can’t wait for Love Oxted Day – it’s going to be a great opportunity for the community to come along and get to know all the brilliant businesses we have,” says BID manager Sue McGeown.
“The local produce market will be wonderful too and we’re hoping to host a regular market in Oxted in the future, so we really want shoppers to come and show their support for it.”
Over 1,000 free parking spaces will be available and visitors are also encouraged to arrive by train as the station is right at the centre of the action.
From one-day-only discounts and competitions, including a chance to win a professional makeover and a piece of art, to beer tastings, cut-price blow dries and manicures, it’s all happening. Families can even save 25% off a swim at Tandridge Leisure Centre.
Love Oxted Day is the first event delivered by the Oxted Business Improvement District (BID), which has brought together around 200 town centre businesses to decide how to improve Oxted.
• Why us? An awards winning independent travel agency that has been successfully trading for over 30 years specialising in up-market bespoke travel with specialist status for a number of destinations.
• Why Oxted? Oxted is a warm, friendly, vibrant town that gives consumers a wide choice of mostly independently owned and managed retailers with a real passion for what they do.
• Why visit us? Come and meet our well travelled team to discuss your travel needs. Enjoy a glass of wine and some canapés, plus the chance to win afternoon tea for two at the Sheraton Park Lane.
Blades Heating Limited
• Why us? Established in 1898, the name Blades is synonymous with Oxted. Becoming one of the first 5 AGA Distributors in 1929, our showroom, technical, home survey, installation and service staff have the knowledge and expertise to meet exacting AGA standards and to assist our customers with all of their requirements.
• Why Oxted? Oxted is a little gem, nestling under the North Downs. There’s free parking for up to four hours and, with everything from Boots to boutiques, a leisure centre and a lovely old cinema, there’s no reason to go anywhere else.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? Come and see why an AGA is such a fantastic cooker and find out that there’s now a model for everyone. Why not try your hand at making some drop scones or the ‘healthy fried egg!’
• Why us? Chanterelle has undergone a comprehensive re-launch and repositioning with a more modern signature look. We love our brands and hope you will love them too. “Lifestyle brands at affordable prices,” as we like to say. These now include White Stuff, Esprit, Joules, Seasalt and Crew. And now, on the first floor we have a new concept store for the Roman brand, which is one of the largest in the local area.
• Why Oxted? It’s got a unique blend of quality independents, shops and restaurants.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? We’re offering 10% off all stock.
• Why us? We are a unique small business that specialises in jeans, fashion and accessories for men and women. We supply major brands, such as Diesel, Levi, Superdry, Hilfiger and many more and we stick to their recommended retail prices. Gas Station prides itself on excellent customer service and all our staff are fully trained in jean fitting; we are always willing to offer help and advice. We have been trading for over 25 years and look forward to many more!
• Why Oxted? Oxted is a family friendly place with something for everyone. There’s also up to four hours free parking, which is hard to beat!
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? Come and visit Gas Station on Love Oxted Day to experience our customer service for yourself. There may be a treat in store for you!
• Why us? We are an independent specialist beer shop. We love beer and sharing our passion with our customers. Between us, we have worked in the brewing industry, homebrewed, travelled the world in search of good beer and drunk a fair few pints along the way! Our aim is to cater for all beer drinkers, whether you enjoy a cold lager in the sun, a classic British bitter or the latest trend from the forefront of the craft beer renaissance.
• Why Oxted? We chose Oxted as we believe with a bustling High Street, a busy train station and, of course, lots of beer lovers it was a perfect fit for our shop.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? All that shopping is hard work, so pop in for a sample or two of refreshing beer while browsing for some to take home.
Jackson-Stops & Staff
17-19 Station Road West | 01883 712375 | jackson-stops.co.uk
• Why us? At Jackson-Stops & Staff, we are proud of our heritage. A family firm, created over 100 years ago, today we offer a significant network of over 40 offices countrywide, 10 of which give a strong London presence. Our values support our superior personal service, advising on all aspects regarding the sale or letting of property. We are active in our local community and support local charities, clubs and sports teams.
• Why Oxted? It’s a hidden gem at the foot of the North Downs, with excellent communications. Families are attracted by excellent schools and the thriving town centre, within 30 miles of London. Our staff live within the area, have had children in the local schools and know Oxted and the surrounding villages inside out.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? There will be lots going on across the town for this special event and we look forward to meeting you!
Job’s of Oxted
• Why us? A third-generation family business, Job’s celebrated 100 years of retailing in Oxted last August. During that time, we have built up a loyal client base that prefers a local, friendly and reliable service. The store offers a wide-range of house furnishings, including furniture, carpets, beds, upholstery, rugs, blinds and home accessories, from established UK manufacturers. We recently added an extensive range of modern products to our traditional ones and customers can keep up-to-date on new items via our website, Twitter and Instagram. Job’s offer free delivery in the local area, will assemble products free of charge and will dispose of old beds and furniture at a small charge.
• Why Oxted? Whilst most towns benefit from the presence of a few multi-chain stores, Oxted is lucky enough to have retained a character and ambience from its many independent shops and businesses. There are ample parking facilities, especially on a Saturday, and plenty of cosy cafés and restaurants. A day in Oxted is a day well spent!
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? Job’s will be reducing 100 products in store by 20% on the day - one for every year we’ve been in Oxted!
La Maison Boutique
33 Station Road East | 01883 714900 | email@example.com
• Why us? We are a stylish shop offering a fabulous range of gorgeous gifts and lovely homewares, women’s fashion and accessories, plus beautiful jewellery. We try to source things that are a little bit unusual, for an extra special gift or treat for yourself, at prices to suit every pocket. Walking in is a feast for the senses, with inviting fragrances, wonderful displays and the sound of happy loyal customers who think it’s La’mazing!
• Why Oxted? We are happy town with a range of independent shops catering for every need, as well as cafés and eateries, plus FREE parking!
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? We are offering 20% off Lampe Berger products and a free 180ml fragrance with every new lamp purchased, in a happy, relaxed shopping environment.
Meldon House & Home
• Why us? Meldon House & Home are known for revived, bespoke and tailored furniture. We showcase a selection of masterpieces, including work by Joe Wyer and Helen Morris-Clarke. We are Surrey stockists of the worldwide brand Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and hold workshops on a weekly basis, including technique, woodblock printing on linen and lampshades. As well as this, there’s decorative architectural salvage featured in the courtyard this spring. Homes & Antiques have worked with us recently, as well as mentions in Surrey Life. Meldon also supplies pieces for exhibits and home staging. You will find a wonderful selection of mirrors, soft furnishings and giftware, too.
• Why Oxted? It’s a thriving town with much to offer, including easy access and a great community. Meldon is situated on Station Road West, the “artisan” side of town. We are an independent shop and surrounded by people with a similar passion. We will offer you a warm and friendly welcome. Do pop in!
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? Meldon is situated on Station Road West, the “artisan” side of town. We are an independent shop and surrounded by people with a similar passion. We always offer a warm and friendly welcome. Do pop in!
Paul James Jewellers
• Why us? Paul James has recently undergone a complete refurbishment and gives clients a Bond Street experience without having to leave Oxted. We stock an excellent range of fine and contemporary jewellery and watches, including brands such as Pandora, Links of London, Fope and Hulchi Belluni. We repair, re-fashion, design and make bespoke pieces of jewellery for clients and can source all stones as required. We carry an extensive range of new and pre-owned watches including Rolex, Cartier and Breitling. We also have our own on-site valuer who is registered with the Institute of Registered Valuers.
• Why Oxted? It’s a happy and friendly community surrounded by beautiful countryside, with excellent transport links and lots of independent shops. You can buy anything and everything that you want in Oxted.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? We will be offering the opportunity to win a beautiful limited edition fine art print, subject to a minimum spend.
• Why us? We’ve been established in Oxted for 20 years. We do a wide range of ladies’ day wear, together with wedding outfits. Our speciality is evening wear with some stunning styles. We are very involved with school proms and bridesmaids, and have an amazing selection to choose from. All of these can be complimented by our accessories: bags, hats and lots of glitz. We put a lot of emphasis on detail, always making sure the client walks out feeling good, happy and special. If you have a special occasion this year, please make sure to pop in and have a look at our stunning collection.
• Why Oxted? We love this quaint little town with its two High Streets. It’s full of character and interesting individual shops, cafés and things to do.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? It will be a fun day for the family. Personality, we will give 10% off on that day only if you bring this magazine with you.
• Why us? Being a family-owned and run business (Jo is fourth generation florist), our business is based on fabulous flowers and plants and an efficient, friendly service offered by ourselves and our fantastic staff.
• Why Oxted? Both Station Road East and West are unique, comprising a wonderful array of independent shops – Oxted has it all!
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? Come and enter our competition to win a £50 voucher. You also get to meet our lovely staff.
• Why us? We are Oxted’s only Thai restaurant, offering contemporary décor and food – we also serve cocktails! We are ranked in the top three best restaurants in Oxted, according to TripAdvisor reviews.
• Why Oxted? The independent shops. It also maintains a village atmosphere, despite being close to London and close to major road links.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? We will have an out-door stall selling Thai street food, giving you an opportunity to sample the food.
Tandridge Leisure Centre
• Why us? Managed by Tandridge Trust, Leisure & Culture, our leisure centres offer a friendly relaxed atmosphere within Tandridge and further afield. We are responsible for teaching thousands of children to swim, are a main provider of children’s activities and offer leisure and cultural activities for children and adults inside our centres, and within the local community.
• Why Oxted? Tandridge Leisure Centre has been a cornerstone of Oxted life over 25 years. Famous for having the only lagoon pool with waves, slides and features for miles around, it is popular with families and is well known for its fitness facilities and vast group classes programme.
• Why visit us on Love Oxted Day? We’ll have 25% off family swims, free bouncy castle/ball pit sessions, face painting and much more. Come and have a look around the centre and see what’s on your doorstep.