Beauty of the Beasts at David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation Gallery, Shalford
PUBLISHED: 11:10 15 December 2014 | UPDATED: 13:56 15 December 2014
Emma Bowring is a wildlife artist working in oils, and her detailed style is not often seen in this medium. Her solo exhibition at the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation in Shalford, Beauty of the Beasts, is a chance to see close up how she depicts the animals in such a lifelike way.
Originally published in Surrey Life magazine December 2014
“When you see one of my paintings, I want you to experience the life, beauty and character of the animal I am portraying, and as you move closer, I don’t want that realism to be lost,” says Emma. “From inches away, I want you to get a sense of the wispy fur in a leopard’s ear, the velvety softness of a giraffe’s nose or the thick skin on a rhino’s back.”
The David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation supports a range of innovative, vital and far-reaching projects throughout Africa and Asia, achieving real results for wildlife survival. All sales at Emma’s exhibition will help fund their activities, which she fully supports.
“My painting has given me the chance to fulfil a little of my childhood dream of helping animals through donations of my work to animal charities,” she says. “I am delighted to be exhibiting my work at the David Shepherd gallery, and I am particularly happy that sales of my work will benefit many of the endangered species that they work so hard to protect.”
Emma will be making a personal visit to the gallery on Saturday December 6 in order to demonstrate her painting and talk about the wildlife that she supports.
• Beauty of the Beasts by Emma Bowring runs at the David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation Gallery, Saba House, Kings Road, Shalford, Guildford GU4 8JU from Monday December 1 to Wednesday December 31. See davidshepherd.org
5 more Surrey art exhibitions this month...
• The Ingram Collection: Impact of War features many official and well known war artists and includes responses to consequences of conflict in the 20th and 21st centuries. The exhibition runs at The Lightbox, Woking, until Sunday January 4, 2015. thelightbox.org.uk
• A group exhibition by Creative Coverage, including architectural illustrations by Susie Lidstone from Farnham, will be held at Gallery on the Street, Puttenham, until Sunday January 4. galleryonthestreet.com
• Richmond Art Society will hold its Winter Exhibition at Vestry House, Paradise Road, Richmond, from Saturday November 29 to Sunday December 7. Over a hundred members’ artworks will be on display, including free-standing sculptures and ceramics. richmondartsociety.com
• The Fountain Gallery in East Molesey will be showing an exciting selection of paintings, drawings, original prints and ceramics by KAOS artists from Sunday December 7 to Friday December 19. fountaingallery.co.uk
• Stunning images taken by Dorking Camera Club will be on display in the Art Gallery at Denbies Wine Estate from Monday December 15 to Sunday December 21. denbies.co.uk