Discover Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden in Ockley
PUBLISHED: 19:34 31 August 2014 | UPDATED: 14:29 01 September 2014
This year’s display at the Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden is the largest in their 31-year history – a fact that is made even more remarkable considering how much damage the gardens suffered in last winter’s storms.
- Share photos of your favourite Surrey sculptures @ www.surreylife.co.uk/photos
- Sculpture Parks in Surrey
- 10 of the best public sculptures in Surrey
- Ockley - Surrey towns and villages
Indeed, it has taken several months for Hannah and her team to restore the beautiful grounds, located in Ockley, just south of Dorking, where they showcase work by a wide range of esteemed sculptors
“Just before Christmas, we were hit heavily by the storms and the subsequent flooding,” says Hannah. “We lost a number of trees, including two large beeches from the Woodland Garden, and the lower area was badly flooded.
"Five months of hard work have brought the garden back to its original beauty – and pushed it further still. The loss of the trees gave us the opportunity to open up the Woodland Garden, which now reveals beautiful views across the stream to the Bamboo Garden.”
Local and international sculptors
The Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden, which was originally designed by Hannah’s husband Anthony Paul, has over 150 pieces on show by some 50 different artists – ranging from locals such as Jane Bohane from Holmbury to sculptors from all over the UK and Europe.
One of the most popular recent additions is Sound Architect 5 by Dutch artist Ronald van der Meijs. It consists of 5,000 bicycle bells that shimmer in the sunlight and delight the younger visitors. And it’s fine to make the bells ring! As with all the sculpture in this extraordinary garden, touching the artworks is part of the whole glorious experience.
• Hannah Peschar Sculpture Garden, Black and White Cottage, Standon Lane, Ockley RH5 5QR. Open on Friday and Saturdays, from 11am to 6pm, until the end of October. Other times by request on 01306 627269. For more information, visit the website: hannahpescharsculpture.com