Bringing the best of Gilbert and Sullivan to the stage in Guildford
PUBLISHED: 11:33 15 December 2015 | UPDATED: 11:37 15 December 2015
This new professional production company celebrates the performance of greatly loved Gilbert and Sullivan operettas in concert performances of the highest standard and the greatest critical acclaim.
The productions for the spring of 2016 have just been announced as HMS Pinafore and Iolanthe.
Both productions feature a large orchestra of 26 players supporting some of the country’s most accomplished and celebrated Gilbert and Sullivan singers. Salty tars, sisters, cousins and aunts sparkle in HMS Pinafore while redoubtable peers and peris take to the stage in Iolanthe. Both productions offer those familiar with these superb works a chance to revel in some of the greatest melodies including A maiden fair to see and When I was a lad from HMS Pinafore with Loudly let the trumpet bray and The Nightmare Song from Iolanthe. With lilting melodies, gorgeous orchestrations and razor sharp wit, these works are as relevant to today’s audiences as they were back in the 19th century.
Beloved across the country either by those who have performed in productions or discovered the witty relevance of these satirical gems, here is a chance to enjoy some of the country’s finest G&S performers in performances where the ticket prices have been deliberately kept low but the artistic standards exceptionally high.
Save the date
• GLive, Sat 16 Jan, 2.30 & 7.00 - HMS Pinafore
Further tour dates
• Chichester, CFT, Thu 21 Jan, 2.30 & 7.30 - HMS Pinafore
• High Wycombe. Swan, Sun 24 Jan, 2.30 & 7.00 - HMS Pinafore
• Opera House, Buxton, Wed 3 Feb, 7.30 - HMS Pinafore
• Opera House, Buxton, Thur 4 Feb, 7.30 - Iolanthe
• Opera House, Buxton, Fri 5 Feb, 7.30 - Iolanthe
• Opera House, Buxton, Sat 6 Feb, 2.30 & 7.30 - HMS Pinafore