Through the Crescent Bench by Anthony Rogers
Woolly Mammoth visible in background, by Marjan Wouda
Stack Of Cards by Antony Poels
NOV 2011 | Usually just a practical security measure, the safety curtain at Croydonâ€™s Ashcroft Theatre at Fairfield Halls is a little more special than most: it features a theatrical mural depicting the town through the ages by artist Henry Bird. â€œThis unique work of art, which was completed in 1982, is a celebration of the world of theatre â€“ and a link with Croydonâ€™s own rich theatrical history,â€ says Fairfieldâ€™s Laura Roberts.
OCT 2011 | In 2010, the John Lewis department store in Kingston celebrated 20 years of operation and, to mark the occasion, the Kingston and District Branch of the Embroiderersâ€™ Guild decided to tackle an embroidered view of the building from the Thames. For this special piece, they cut a large photograph into 32 pieces and then 48 of their members were briefed to embroider the image in the same size and colours, but in any materials and technique they wished.
SEPT 2011 | As of the annual Heritage Open Days event, Guildford Town Guides led a tour of the townâ€™s public art in September. Highlights included the Alice and the White Rabbit statue by Edwin Russell, next to the River Wey at Millmead; Masquerade by Allan Sly, representing the two masks of tragedy and comedy, by the Electric Theatre; and the bronze sculpture of two life-sized children by Christine Charlesworth in the Seeds of Hope childrenâ€™s garden at Guildford Cathedral (pictured).
AUGUST 2011 | A famous portrait of Shakespeare, which X-rays have shown to be the original of a much-copied representation of the bard, has returned to Hatchlands Park, after being the centrepiece of an exhibition in New Yorkâ€™s Morgan Library and Museum.
Painted in 1610 by an unknown artist, it appears to have been captured from life and is now once again taking pride of place in the library of the National Trust property near Guildford.
JULY 2011 | Details below...
JUNE 2011 | The acclaimed wildlife painter, etcher and illustrator Francis Barlow will be celebrated in an exhibition at the National Trustâ€™s Clandon Park, near Guildford. As well as pieces on loan from the British Museum, the V&A and other National Trust properties, the show features work housed permanently at Clandon, including The Decoy (above). | The exhibition of Francis Barlowâ€™s life and work runs at Clandon House until Sunday July 24
MAY 2011 | Every year, the idyllic grounds of Birtley House in Bramley are transformed for their annual exhibition, The Sculpture Garden â€“ and among the 50 or so artists exhibiting this year will be Shalfordâ€™s Diane Coates, whose Presence (of Mind), pictured, is based on one of her favourite yoga teachers. | The Sculpture Garden takes place from Saturday May 1 to Monday May 30, 10am to 5pm, atÂ Birtley House, Bramley, Guildford GU5 0LB. Entrance is free.
APRIL 2011 | Badly damaged by a tornado in 2007, the future looked bleak for what had been a fine old oak tree on Broomhall Common in Woking â€“ until, that is, Horsell Common Preservation Society came up with a rather novel remedy. Instead of felling the tree, they decided to commission Captain Chainsaw and his crew to create an artwork from the trunk! The quite remarkable result of the project, which can be found opposite the Brewery Road car park, is the stunning Pegasus.
MARCH 2011 | The More-Molyneux family has lived in Surrey for over 500 years, and this huge painting takes pride of place at the end of the Great Hall in their Loseley Park home near Guildford. Depicting Sir Thomas Molyneux with his wife Cassandra (they had 11 children but three died at an early age), it was painted by an artist of the Somer school on location in 1739.Â | Loseley Park, Guildford GU3 1HS: 01483 304440
FEB 2011 | The dashing young owner of Ham House in the early 17th Century was William Murray, a childhood friend of King Charles I. This portrait can be found in the Long Gallery of the National Trust property in Richmond, is by Sir Anthony van Dyck and was given to Murray by the King. To this day, it remains in its original frame. | Ham House, Richmond, Surrey TW10 7RS: 0208 940 1950.
JAN 2011 | Whatâ€™s in a name? Well, at The Lightbox in Woking, quite a lot actually it seems â€“ especially since a new sculpture, literally made up of a series of lightboxes, was installed in the galleryâ€™s courtyard. The sculpture was designed by artist Richard Jackson, who has previously exhibited at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London l The Lightbox, Woking, Surrey GU21 4AA: 01483 737800