CHRISTMAS OFFER Subscribe for £25 today CLICK HERE

Prince Charles extends his patronage of the Painshill Park Trust, Cobham

PUBLISHED: 19:30 05 February 2013 | UPDATED: 22:41 20 February 2013

Prince Charles extends his patronage of the Painshill Park Trust, Cobham

Prince Charles extends his patronage of the Painshill Park Trust, Cobham

Having last visited the Cobham landscape garden in 2011, it has been announced that Prince Charles has extended his patronage of the Painshill Park Trust for a further five years.

Having last visited the Cobham landscape garden in 2011, it has been announced that Prince Charles has extended his patronage of the Painshill Park Trust for a further five years.


The Trust was formed in 1981 to restore the 158-acre landscape garden, created by Charles Hamilton between 1738 and 1773.


When the Prince of Wales visited he viewed the ongoing restoration of the 18th century landscape and unveiled a plaque commemorating the rebuilding of the historic Five Arch Bridge, which has now been completed and will be officially opened this year.


It is an absolute honour to have His Royal Highnesss continued support, says Lady Alexander of Weedon, chairwoman of Painshill Park Trust.


He first visited Painshill in 1989, to witness early restoration work on the follies, and so appreciates all the work done by our dedicated volunteers and staff over the years. Now the Trust looks forward to inviting our Royal Patron back at some stage to see the completed Five Arch Bridge, which has restored the magnificent long lake vista that Hamilton created in the 18th century.


We also look forward to showing His Royal Highness the restored crystal Grotto, which has been funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, and the new replica 18th century Woollett Bridge.


Painshill has undergone significant restoration over the past three decades and the landscape garden, which is Grade 1 listed, is open to the public all year round and supported by over 100 volunteers.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Surrey