The Surrey Life Christmas Quiz - 50 questions
PUBLISHED: 09:21 22 December 2014 | UPDATED: 11:58 04 November 2015
Time to get your thinking caps on because we are delighted to bring you the inaugural Surrey Life Christmas Quiz! This one is just for fun and the answers are at the bottom of the page. Good luck!
1. The Epsom Downs racecourse hosts the Derby and which other classic race?
2. What is the name of the hill near Dorking that marks Surrey’s highest point?
3. Which manor house in Great Bookham hosted the Queen Mother on her honeymoon?
4. A well-known Surrey Dame recently became a patron of Surrey Wildlife Trust, but what is her name?
5. “An island like no other” is the slogan of which amusement park in our county?
6. Paul Weller’s third solo album is named after which road in Woking where he grew up?
7. Which motor company is the sponsor of Surrey County Cricket Club’s famous ground, The Oval?
8. The Forsyte Saga is a well-known novel by which Kingston-born writer?
9. Which Surrey town holds its annual Royal Show on Mrs Caddey’s Field?
10. What is the name of the restaurant in Ripley that has been awarded a Michelin star every year since opening?
11. Surrey is home to England’s largest vineyard, but can you tell us its name?
12. Where did Vickers open a flying school in 1912?
13. Which Surrey river eventually joins the Thames near Hampton Court Palace?
14. The University of Surrey is located in which town?
15. Lakeside Country Club in Frimley Green is the venue for the world championships of which sport?
16. Martians landed on Horsell Common in which well-known science fiction novel?
17. The Magna Carta was signed by King John at Runnymede – but what year was it?
18. Which National Trust estate features a Maori meeting house shipped from New Zealand?
19. What form of transport in the United States was a surrey?
20. Which aerodrome is used as the studio and test track in the TV series Top Gear?
21. Our county is home to the UK’s first custom-built crematorium, but which town is it located in?
22. The postcode area “RH” relates to which town?
23. In 2014, the penultimate stage of the Tour of Britain cycling race began in a Surrey town – but which one?
24. The original Walton Bridge was painted by which European artist in 1754?
25. Supermodel Kate Moss was born in 1974 in which town?
26. Which Surrey village claims to be the largest in England?
27. What is the name of the 108-mile footpath that runs from Haslemere to Hamstreet in Kent?
28. Our county town of Guildford boasts a Premier League ice hockey team, but what are they called?
29. Who has been the MP for the Surrey Heath constituency since 2005?
30. What is the name of the windmill at Capel that was burnt down in 1972?
31. Which village has a figure of ‘Jack the Blacksmith’ who strikes the clock every hour?
32. What is the name of the iconic memorial viewpoint on Box Hill that was named after a city financier?
33. The Elizabethan house Loseley Park, near Guildford, is the residence of which well-known Surrey family?
34. What type of animal, constructed in white concrete, welcomes passers-by on the A30 in Camberley?
35. For three years during World War One, the Grand National was held at which local racecourse?
36. The Mulberry Inn at Chiddingfold is owned by a famous radio presenter – but what is his name?
37. Which town has a punishment cage to hold a poacher, last used in 1882?
38. What is the name of the museum and gallery that opened in Woking in 2007?
39. Which school was originally The Hospital of King James and Thomas Sutton?
40. What is the name of the airport that was built in 1931 on Dolley’s Farm?
41. Which broadcaster was made a Freeman of Elmbridge in 2008?
42. What is the name of the natural amphitheatre that is also home to the Hindhead Youth Hostel?
43. The Honest Sausage eatery can be found at which local horticultural centre?
44. Some of the loot from the Great Train Robbery was buried in which forest near Farley Green?
45. Which village’s defunct fire station was built in Queen Victoria’s reign?
46. What town held its seventh annual Wife-Carrying Race in 2014?
47. The beers ‘Progress’, ‘Quench’ and ‘Quest’ are produced by which brewery?
48. Which Epsom-born singer recorded the song Don’t Sleep in the Subway?
49. What is the name of the restaurant at High Down prison, in Sutton, that was also a winner at the recent Surrey Life Food and Drink Awards?
50. Which topically-named hamlet lies in the parish of Normandy within the borough of Guildford ?
Best of luck to everyone!
Our Christmas Quiz may be just for pure enjoyment, but we also have a bonus question for you – and the winner of that will receive a dinner for two in the delightful rooftop restaurant at Denbies Wine Estate in Dorking, a copy of Beata Moore’s beautiful new book about the Surrey Hills and a subscription to Surrey Life. To stand a chance of winning, click here and answer the questiont you find.
1. The Oaks
4. Judi Dench
5. Thorpe Park Resort
8. John Galsworthy
18. Clandon Park
19. A horse-drawn carriage
20. Dunsfold Park
27. Greensand Way
29. Michael Gove
30. Shiremark Mill
31. Abinger Hammer
36. Chris Evans
38. The Lightbox
41. Michael Aspel
48. Petula Clark
49. The Clink
50. Christmas Pie