Recipes for flaky almond & blueberry slices and cornflake rocky roads
PUBLISHED: 11:21 11 March 2019
Foodie author Sam Gates shares her recipes for almond and blueberry slices and cornflake rocky roads
Flaky Almond & Blueberry Slices (pictured above)
This is a superfast no-nonsense traybake that works with most summer berries. It’s a foolproof recipe to turn to when you’re time-poor and need a last-minute cake. The almonds help to keep it moist, the top is light and crunchy and as you cut it into squares, gorgeous purple blueberries come tumbling out.
Ingredients - makes 15
• 200g butter, at room temperature
• 200g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
• 100g ground almonds
• 4 medium eggs, beaten
• 100g self-raising flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 150g blueberries, preferably small
• 25g flaked almonds, lightly toasted until golden
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Generously grease the baking tin and line with greaseproof paper.
• Beat the butter, sugar, ground almonds, eggs, flour and baking powder together until soft and completely combined. Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the top with a palette knife.
• Scatter the blueberries evenly over the mixture and sprinkle with flaked almonds. Bake for 35–40 minutes until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. Dust with caster sugar and let the cake cool in the tin before cutting into squares.
Cornflake Rocky Roads
Young and old, everyone loves a cracklet cake, so if you need a speedy batch of sweetness for a party, bake sale or the office, knock up a batch of these.
Ingredients - makes 12
• 120g butter
• 4 tbsp icing sugar
• 4 tbsp golden syrup
• 3 tbsp cocoa powder
• 120g cornflakes
• 15g mini marshmallows
• 30g fudge chunks, chopped into small pieces
• Line a muffin tin with paper cupcake cases.
• In a saucepan, heat the butter, icing sugar and golden syrup together until completely combined, without allowing it to boil.
• Take off the heat and stir in the cocoa powder. Fold in the cornflakes until they are completely covered in chocolate, then stir through the marshmallows and fudge chunks.
• Pour into the paper cases and place in the fridge for 60 minutes to set.
• The best restaurants in Surrey - Whether you’re looking for fine dining, pub grub or exotic dishes, eating out in Surrey has something for everyone. Here’s our guide to the best local restaurants and pubs